Southwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fountain of Light and Water was designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, PA. The namesake of Bartholdi Park is best known for designing the Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) installed on Liberty Island in New York, NY. The U.S. Congress purchased the cast-iron fountain in 1877 and placed it with the original U.S. Botanic Garden where the Capitol Reflecting Pool is located today. It was moved to its present site in 1932. The original gas lamps were converted to electricity in 1881, making the fountain a major attraction. The design features turtle-like aquatic beasts and large shells around the base, three sea nymphs and fish on the pedestal, and three youthful Tritons holding seaweed just under the top crown. The fountain stands 30 feet (9m) tall and weighs more than 15 tons (13,600 kg).
Erected by United States Botanic Garden.
Location. 38° 53.234′ N, 77° 0.75′ W. Marker is in Southwest, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on First Street Southwest near Independence Avenue SW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Bartholdi Fountain (here, next to this marker); Rain Garden (here, next to this marker); Native Plants (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bartholdi Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); A Historic Landscape (within shouting distance of this marker); Capitol Square, SW (within shouting distance of this marker); Pitcherplants (within shouting distance of this marker); American Veterans Disabled For Life Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southwest.
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.