Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fullerwood Park Historic District

 
 
Fullerwood Park Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
1. Fullerwood Park Historic District Marker
Inscription. Fullerwood Park reflects multiple periods of housing growth for St. Augustine's middle class. The district exhibits design characteristics from the periods of World War I, the 1920s Florida land boom, and post-World War II. The district, featuring gridded streets, lies east of San Marco Avenue, the primary route north from downtown. The eastern boundary curves at the tidal marshes and Hospital Creek. The district is anchored by two Mediterranean Revival institutional structures, Fullerwood School and Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. Many of the one-and two-story buildings feature Colonial Revival and Bungalow styles, mixed with Mediterranean Revival, Tudor Revival, Mission, Spanish Eclectic, Ranch, and vernacular building examples. Although the district is primarily a 20th century development, it retains vestiges of an earlier era through the ca. 1870 Abel Adams Hildreth House, at 65 Fullerwood Avenue The Hildreth citrus grove was an attraction during the late 19th century. Evidence of this legacy is found with Hildreth Drive and the Hildreth Back Bay Subdivision north and east of Fullerwood. The Fullerwood Park Residential Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
 
Erected 2017 by The Fullerwood Neighborhood Association, the City of St. Augustine,
Fullerwood Park Historic District Marker looking north on San Marco Ave. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
2. Fullerwood Park Historic District Marker looking north on San Marco Ave.
and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-954.)
 
Location. 29° 54.843′ N, 81° 19.302′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of San Marco Avenue (U.S. Bus 1) and Macaris Street, on the right when traveling north on San Marco Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 10 Hildreth Drive (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nelmar Terrace Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chain Gangs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old St. Johns County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Gault Street (approx. half a mile away); The 1910 Mary Peck House (approx. half a mile away); Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Fullerwood Park Residential Historic District. (Submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement