Wauchula in Hardee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Hartsuﬀ
Established August 8, 1856
Fort Hartsuff was a community fort used as a refuge for settlers during the Indian uprisings of 1856-1858.
The fort was garrisoned by U.S. Regular troops and the Florida Mounted Volunteers.
Erected 1978 by Peace River Valley Historical Society.
Location. 27° 31.627′ N, 81° 49.062′ W. Marker is in Wauchula, Florida, in Hardee County. Marker is on South Florida Avenue 0.2 miles north of Altman Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is opposite the Florida's First Assembly of God Church. Marker is in this post office area: Wauchula FL 33873, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seminole Indian Battle (approx. 2.1 miles away); "Bone" Mizell (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort Chokonikla (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Forts of Florida. (Submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.