Wilson in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spanish Explorers’ Route
Here passed many 17th century Spanish visitors: Father Salas, coming from New Mexico in 1629 on pleas of Jumano Indians to preach to them; Captains Hernan Martin and Diego del Castillo, exploring in 1650; Captain Diego de Guadalajara, seeking pearls and other treasure, in 1654.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4999.)
Location. 33° 19.297′ N, 101° 43.827′ W. Marker is in Wilson, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Avenue and 17th Street, on the right when traveling east on Green Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson TX 79381, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson Mercantile Company Lynn County (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 8.9 miles away); Slaton Bakery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 9.4 miles away); Slaton (approx. 9½ miles away); Engine 1809 (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Categories. • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.