Alexandria National Cemetery
The cemetery was originally enclosed with a picket fence, later replaced with a brick wall in 1870. Lodge built in 1879, rebuilt in 1931. Sun porch added in 1938 by W.P.A. labor. Flag mound and flagstaff replaced in November, 1950.
Initially, there were 1378 interments, 871 unknown, 507 known. Later, the following transfers were made to three common graves. 1537 unknown soldiers originally interred in Fort Brownsville, Texas, as casualties of the Civil War were interred in one grave.
In a second grave, 25 unknown soldiers were transferred from post and private cemeteries near old Fort Jesup, Louisiana.
A third grave bears the remains of 16 unknown soldiers originally interred at Fort Ringo, Texas. During World War II, five German prisoners of war were given interment.
In 1973, the responsibility for operation of the cemetery was transferred to the Veterans Administration.
Location. 31° 19.29′ N, 92° 25.981′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on East Shamrock Street (State Road 1250) west of Sanders Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 East Shamrock Street, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 700 Block Main Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 835 Main Street (about 700 feet away); 800 Block Main Street (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); 900 Block of Main Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Intersection of Main and Reagan streets (approx. ¼ mile away); The Foot of Red Hill (approx. ¼ mile away); Red Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2017.