Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arcadia in DeSoto County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Arcadia Historic District

 
 
Arcadia Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 19, 2017
1. Arcadia Historic District Marker
Inscription. The Arcadia Historic District comprises fifty-eight blocks within 340 acres that embody the city's development from the founding of its post office in 1883 through the late 1920s. The Town of Arcadia was incorporated in 1886 following the arrival of the first train that year and the area's subsequent growth. In November 1888, voters selected Arcadia as the county seat of DeSoto County, which was established in 1887. The City of Arcadia was incorporated in 1901. The heart of the district is a commercial zone extending 18 blocks and consisting of buildings constructed between 1900 and the late 1920s. Three buildings that survived the devastating 1905 downtown fire, and those that were rebuilt, are generally masonry vernacular in style. The districtís most imposing structure is the 1912 Classical Revival courthouse. Residential neighborhoods of mostly frame vernacular homes from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries surround the commercial area. Listed on the National Register in 1984, the district retains remarkable historical and architectural integrity as reflected in its churches, residences, and schools, as well as commercial, governmental, and industrial buildings.
 
Erected 2016 by The Peace River Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, DeSoto County Historical Society
Arcadia Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 19, 2017
2. Arcadia Historic District Marker
and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-910.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 27° 12.932′ N, 81° 51.624′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Florida, in DeSoto County. Marker is at the intersection of West Oak Street and DeSoto Avenue (U.S. 17), on the right when traveling west on West Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is in a small park on the corner. Marker is in this post office area: Arcadia FL 34266, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. DeSoto County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arcadia City Hall (about 800 feet away); Florida Baptist Orphanage (approx. 0.6 miles away); Arcadia Oak Ridge Cemetery (approx. one mile away); The British Plot (approx. one mile away); Owens Community School (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Ogden (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement