First Baptist Church
On January 8, 1911, Pineville Baptist was founded in a brush tabernacle on Reagan Street. Thereafter, the church met at Louisiana College until a brick sanctuary was built on this site in 1919. Under Pastor T.W. Gayer (1925-1934) the membership doubled and endured the Great Depression.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The name First Baptist Church was adopted in 1934. Educational buildings were added in 1942 and 1952 and a new sanctuary in 1959. The 1970 activities center honors pastor Dr. R. Houston Smith (1946-1972). The 1980 education center honors Charles Crowley's service in three different ministries.
Location. 31° 19.482′ N, 92° 25.936′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 165) north of Reagan Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Main Street, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 900 Block of Main Street (a few steps from
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2017.