Near Cataldo in Kootenai County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Old Mission Bell
“At sundown the church bell toiled, and it was soon filled with humble worshippers. The chapel is quite an impressing building, the walls covered with pictures of saints and crucifixion. The Indians are very devout and tell their beads with great patience. There were many aged people led to and from the church, some totally blind and others walking on hands and feet, so bowed with age.” Quote from the travels of E.S. Glover in 1875.
The bell was donated to the former M.O.N.A.C. (Museum of Native American Cultures), in Spokane, Washington, by Fr. Walter Schoenberg, S.J. The Bellsí original location was described as coming from a mission in the Northwest. Could it have been the Old Mission?
Erected by Idaho State Parks and Recreation.
Location. 47° 32.94′ N, 116° 21.516′ W. Marker is near Cataldo, Idaho, in Kootenai County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Mission Road and Dredge Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker located in Old Mission State Park, on the grounds in front of the Old Mission of the Sacred Heart building. Access to Dredge Road is from Interstate 90, exit 39. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31732 South Mission Road, Cataldo ID 83810, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old Mission (a few steps from this marker); Mission Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodging for Travelers (within shouting distance of this marker); Stock and Crop Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Parsonage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Grist Mill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dug-Out Canoe (about 400 feet away); Indian Village (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cataldo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Coeur d' Alene's Old Mission State Park.
The Coeur d' Alene's Old Mission State Park spotlights the oldest building in Idaho. The Mission of the Sacred Heart was constructed between 1850 and 1853 by Catholic missionaries and members of the Coeur d' Alene Tribe. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Sacred Heart Mission and the Coeur d'Alene's Old Mission State Park provide an educational experience not found anywhere else, giving visitors an opportunity to examine the dynamics and complexities between Jesuit missionaries and the tribal people among whom they settled in a beautiful park setting. The park features the Sacred Heart Mission church, a restored Parish House and a historic cemetery. (Submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.