Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingsland in Llano County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

McKinley Coach

 
 
McKinley Coach Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 7, 2013
1. McKinley Coach Marker
Inscription.
The McKinley Coach is the oldest rail car at The Antlers Hotel. Construction with square nails date it to the 1800s. Coach/baggage combination cars were especially suited for shortline railroads such as the 7 mile long Rockdale, Sandow & Southern Railway. Passengers sat in rows along the windows while luggage was stored in the back. When the Henry family of Rockdale, Texas acquired this car in the 1950s, it had been retired from service and no longer had its original trucks (wheels). The International & Great Northern combination car is a gift to The Antlers Hotel from the estate of E.E. Henry and Lillie T. Henry; Ann E. Henry and E. David Henry.

Renovated as a hotel room in 2001, the combine has a king size bed, twin beds, one and a half baths, a living area & a kitchen. The interior features ornately paneled wood and a vaulted ceiling. Stained glass in the clerestory windows and antique gas light fixtures (now electrified) provide an old world luxury to the coach. It is named in honor of President William McKinley who visited Austin by rail on May 3, 1901 – the week The Antlers Hotel opened.
 
Location. 30° 39.605′ N, 98° 26.155′ W. Marker is in Kingsland, Texas, in Llano County. Marker is on King Court 0.1 miles west of East FM
McKinley Coach Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 7, 2013
2. McKinley Coach Marker (wide view)
Road 1431, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 King Court, Kingsland TX 78639, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Antlers Caboose Rooms (within shouting distance of this marker); Antlers Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Fisher - Miller - Grant (approx. 1 miles away); Hoover's Valley Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Longhorn Caverns (approx. 5.3 miles away); Longhorn Cavern Administration Building (approx. 5.4 miles away); C.S.A. Salt Works (approx. 5.4 miles away); Early Explorers in Llano County (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsland.
 
Also see . . .
1. Rockdale, Sandow & Southern Railway.
The Rockdale, Sandow, and Southern Railroad Company was chartered on June 13, 1923, to acquire and rehabilitate an industrial railroad constructed by the Federal Fuel Company in 1919. The six-mile line extended from Marjorie on the International-Great Northern to the Federal lignite mine near Millerton, the first surface lignite mine in Texas. However, the equipment employed by Federal Fuel to strip the overburden and lignite failed to work as expected, and the company entered into voluntary bankruptcy in late 1920. (Submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
McKinley Coach image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 7, 2013
3. McKinley Coach
 

2. International-Great Northern Railroad.
The International-Great Northern Railroad Company was a major component of the Missouri Pacific lines in Texas. The railroad was formed on September 30, 1873, by the consolidation of the International Railroad Company and the Houston and Great Northern Railroad. The Houston and Great Northern was chartered on October 22, 1866, by the first legislature to meet after the Civil War, and was backed by eastern and local capital. At the time of the merger, the Houston and Great Northern owned 252 miles of track between Houston and Palestine, between Houston and East Columbia with branches from Phelps to Huntsville, and between Troup and Mineola. (Submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. Combine Car.
A combine car, (combine), is a type of railroad car which combines sections for both passengers and freight. It was used on short lines to carry passengers and their luggage, as a full car would not have been cost effective. One half (or less) of the car is built like a baggage car while the other half of the car is a regular passenger car. This type of combine is referred to as a coach-baggage. Another common type of combine in railroad use was the coach-RPO. A portion of this type of car was configured as a railway post office while the rest of the car was configured as
McKinley Coach image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 7, 2013
4. McKinley Coach
a coach. (Submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

4. The Antlers Inn. (Submitted on December 2, 2017.)
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesPoliticsRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement