Fluvanna in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
When Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad reached this point in Sept. 1909, a 3-day picnic was held. Buildings at Light, Texas, a mile east, were moved here.
Town developed into important cattle shipping point, as long market drives were abandoned.
By 1912 had 2 wagon yards and 2 blacksmith shops, among many businesses. Later, shipped much cotton before railroad ceased operating here in 1942.
Now a prosperous agricultural community on good highways.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1930.)
Location. 32° 53.324′ N, 101° 7.994′ W. Marker is in Fluvanna, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 612 and Highway 2173, on the left when traveling west on Highway 612. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fluvanna TX 79517, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fluvanna Mercantile Company (here, next to this marker); Former Townsite of Light (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Presbyterian Church of Fluvanna Dermott (approx. 7 miles away); Home County of Famous Frontiersmen J. Wright Mooar (approx. 8.8 miles away); Scurry County's Billionth Barrel of Oil (approx. 12.1 miles away); The Block 97 Controversy (approx. 13.6 miles away); Von Roeder Cotton Breeding Farms (approx. 14.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fluvanna.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.