Near Tendoy in Lemhi County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Looking South Along the Continental Divide
• Monday, the 12th --- Lewis, McNeal, Drouillard & Shields --- headed west
• Thursday, the 15th --- Lewis & 3 men with Cameahwait & 60 Shoshones --- headed east
• Monday, the 19th --- Clark & 11 men, Charbonneau, Sacajawea, Pomp, Cameahwait & Shoshones --- headed west
• Wednesday, the 21st --- Charbonneau, Sacajawea, Pomp, Cameahwait & Shoshones --- headed east
• Sunday, the 25th --- Shoshone messengers sent by Cameahwait --- headed west
• Monday, the 26th ---Lewis and the main Expedition aided by Shoshones --- headed west
Erected by Beaverhead-Deerlodge & Salmon-Chaillis National Forest.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 44° 58.736′ N, 113° 26.849′ W. Marker is near Tendoy, Idaho, in Lemhi County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tendoy ID 83468, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Agency Creek (here, next to this marker); A Communication Across the Continent by Water (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Immence (sic) Ranges of High Mountains Still to the West of Us..." (approx. 0.2 miles away); From Route ... To Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crossing the Great Divide (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Most Distant Fountain" of the Mighty Missouri (approx. 0.6 miles away in Montana); The Beginning of the "Endless Missouri" (approx. 0.6 miles away in Montana); Sacajawea Memorial Area (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tendoy.
More about this marker. This marker is on the Lewis and Clark National Back Country Byway and Adventure Road. The Byway is a 36 mile loop from Tendoy, Idaho to Lemhi Pass and back to Tendoy over gravel roads with a 4000 foot gain and loss in elevation. There are 10 designated stops with pullouts on the Byway and over two dozen information panels and markers on route. Estimated travel time is about 3 hours.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Lemhi Pass.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on November 30, 2017, by T. Patton of Jefferson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.