Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Dupont Circle Mural Key
Images Courtesy Of: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division DC Public Library, Washingtoniana Division Heurich House Museum Women's National Democratic Club Archives Michael Cianciosi Private Collection, Potomac Bottle Collectors Club Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division Wells Fargo Corporate Archives
Photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) opened her DC studio in 1894, documenting the city's political and social events, and architecture. Her work includes portraits of Susan B. Anthony, Mark Twain and Booker T. Washington
Stewart's Castle, designed by renowned architect Adolph Cluss, was built in 1873 for Senator William M. Stewart (R-NV), an important supporter of public building improvements. Cluss' Designs set a new standard in DC. (Photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston)
From 1886 to 1893, Stewart's Castle was the seat of the Chinese Legation in Washington. By this time, Dupont Circle had grown into a popular and booming neighborhood, with many large mansions around the Circle. Today, many of these historic mansions are home to embassies and consulates. (Photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston)
The Whittemore House, built between 1892 and 1894, was designed by Washington architect Harvey L. Page for opera singer Sarah Adams Whittemore,
Florence "Daisy" Harriman at a suffrage parade in New York, c. 1917. Harriman, c. 1917. Harriman, with Emily Newell Blair, founded the Woman's National Democratic Club in 1922 to support women's expanding role in politics. Since 1927, the Whittemore House has served as a meeting place for the WNDC.
Frederick Douglass (1818-1895) escaped slavery to become an abolitionist, social reformer, orator, writer and statesman, fighting for the emancipation and civil rights of African Americans, and vigorously supporting the women's rights movement. Cedar Hill, his home in Anacostia, is designated as a National Historic Site.
The 1900 Census, showing Lewis H. Douglass' residence at 2002 17th Street NW. The home was one of three built by his father, Frederick Douglass, in the historic Strivers' Section, an enclave of prominent African Americans during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The Patterson House at 15 Dupont Circle. Built in 1901 for Robert Patterson, editor of the Chicago Tribune, it served as the temporary residence of President and Mrs. Coolidge during the renovations to the White House in 1927. It is now home to the Washington Club, DC's first woman's organization, which was founded in 1891 with a social and educations
Dupont Circle, originally known as Pacific Circle, was built in 1871 by the Army Corps of Engineers, and later named for Admiral Samuel Francis Du Pont. The fountain at its center was designed by Lincoln Memorial creators Daniel Chester French and Henry Bacon and built in 1921. Today, the park attracts some of the city's best chess players and is also a location for political rallies.
The Heurich House, located at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue Northwest in Dupont Circle, was built in 1892 by German immigrant, philanthropist and American beer baron Christian Heurich. Heurich ran the Christian Heurich Brewing Company until his death at 102 years old. The mansion, constructed of concrete and steel, was Washington's first fireproof house, and is now a museum.
Christian Heurich Brewing Company letterhead, c. 1950. The brewery located along the Potomac River at 26th and D streets until 1956, was the largest private employer in the nation's capital, with a capacity of 500,000 barrels of beer a year and 250 tons of ice daily.
Map of the City of Washington, 1846. Until 1870, the area around Dupont Circle was undeveloped. In 1871, the Army Corps of Engineers, on behalf the Board of Public Works, undertook the construction of Pacific Circle, as specified on Pierre L'Enfant's plan. On February 25, 1882,
in 1916, Wells Fargo opened a new express office in Washington, DC. The front office was managed by Ms. Bronson Quaites, who assisted with express shipments. She was also a champion bowler. By 1918, Wells Fargo had 10,000 from "Ocean to Ocean" and "From Over the Sea".
We would like to hear from you!
Please contact Communitymurals@Wellsfargo.com.
Erected 2012 by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
Location. 38° 54.514′ N, 77° 2.588′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Connecticut Avenue Northwest south of Dupont Circle NW when traveling south. Touch for map. In the breezeway on the wall for Panera Bread. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1350 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. You are standing at the heart (within shouting distance of this marker); The mansion at 1801 Massachusetts Ave. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Francis Du Pont (about 400 feet away); Andrew Mellon Building (about 500 feet away); Patterson House Henry Martyn Robert (about 500 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (about 500 feet away); Myrtilla Miner (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.