Near Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Block 97 Controversy
Found in 1882, the error voided all deeds from H. & T.C. for lots in the reserve. Much land was unscrupulously resold, causing a decade of conflict over claims.
Issue was decided only when 1899 Legislature, on authority of State Supreme Court, declared land to be state school land and gave settlers option to buy.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5293.)
Location. 32° 43.697′ N, 100° 59.826′ W. Marker is near Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is on U.S. 180 east of Farm to Market Road 1609, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Von Roeder Cotton Breeding Farms (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); E. W. Clark House (approx. 4.4 miles away); F. J. Grayum Home Channel of Deep Creek (approx. 4½ miles away); Towle House (approx. 4½ miles away); Witness Tree (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Witness Tree (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.