Shady Grove in Taylor County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Shady Grove Methodist Church
Robert M. Hendry moved from Georgia and purchased farmland in the Shady Grove area in 1852. Reverend Henry, a Methodist Circuit Rider in Florida and Georgia, served as the pastor of Friendship Church in Madison County. In 1872, members of the congregation including Hendry and his son Thomas, organized the Shady Grove Methodist Church. The congregation held its first services in an old log schoolhouse, but moved a few years later to a new log building. This 1900 wood-framed church building with white clapboard siding was moved to this land, once part of the Hendry homestead, in 1909. The building's front door, flanked by sash windows on each side, opened to pews of rough-hewn native timber, polished smooth by use, and separated by a central aisle. Hymnals and stick fans advertising area businesses littered the pews. In 1963, a brick church building was constructed, and was dedicated as the Robert M. Hendry Memorial Methodist Church. For over a century, the church has served as a locus for religious and community activity.
Erected 2016 by The Robert M. Hendry Memorial Methodist Church, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-913.)
Location. 30° 17.276′ N, 83° 37.839′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shady Grove FL 32357, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ray Charles Childhood Home (approx. 12.2 miles away); Jerkins High School (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Shady Grove Methodist Church. (Submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.