Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute
Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the Female Institute as a separate school in 1850. Five lodge members (including city's most prominent men) were on institute's executive board. By 1853, there were fifty-three students and a faculty of five.
Two who served longest of the school's five presidents were Dr. Thomas B. Wilson (1850-1858 and 1865-1870) and Dr. Charles B. Stuart (1874-1886).
Erected 1969 by State of Texas Historical Survey Committee & Marshall Lodge No. 22 A.F. & A.M.
Location. 32° 32.863′ N, 94° 22.142′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Burleson Street and North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on West Burleson Street. Touch for map. Marker is located along the sidewalk in front of Marshall's First Church of Christ Scientist. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 West Burleson Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (here, next to this marker); Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A. Telegraph Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrison County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Harper Starr (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Edward Clark (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . . Marshall Masonic Female Institute. The Masonic Female Institute in Marshall originated as the women's division of Marshall University but on February 16, 1850, was turned over to an executive board appointed by Marshall Masonic Lodge. Among the courses offered in 1854 were botany, geology, moral philosophy, logic, political economy, domestic economy, astronomy, ancient languages, modern languages, and what were called "ornamental subjects"- drawing, painting, embroidery, needlework, and the like. The school went through a financial crisis during the Civil War but recovered afterward. In 1876 the school's enrollment was 102, and it employed six instructors. In the 1880s the institute building was rented to the public school system, and the institute continued to operate as a public school for females until the building was condemned in 1910. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.