Saint Pancras Parish Church
The Parish and Municipal Church of St. Pancras is dedicated to the Roman Boy Pancratius who was martyred by the Emperor Diocletian in the Year 304.
The old Church in Pancras Road is the oldest Building in the Borough dating in parts from the 11th Century.
The New Church was built to a design by W. & H.W. Inwood, based on the Ionic Temple of the Erectheum on the Acropolis at Athens.
The octagonal Tower is copied from the Tower of the Winds, also at Athens.
The Foundation stone was laid by the Duke of York and Albany on July 1st 1819 and the Building Consecrated by William Howley, Bishop of London on May 7th 1822.
It was extensively restored from 1951 to 1953 and re-dedicated by Dr. J.W.C. Wand, Bishop of London, on December 14th 1953.
Location. 51° 31.626′ N, 0° 7.819′ W. Marker is in London Borough of Camden, England, in Greater London County. Marker is at the intersection of Upper Woburn Place and Euston Road, on the left when traveling south on Upper Woburn Place. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: London Borough of Camden, England NW1 2BA, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Butler Yeats (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dorothy Richardson
Also see . . . St Pancras New Church (Wikipedia). St Pancras Church is a Greek Revival church in St Pancras, London, built in 1819–22 to the designs of William and Henry William Inwood. It was historically often referred to as St Pancras New Church, in order to distinguish it from St Pancras Old Church, which stands some way to the north. (Submitted on December 2, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.