Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Marion County Courthouse
The county government occupied several buildings during its first 50 years, including a courthouse built in 1873 and the Murphy Building, used today as a courthouse annex. In 1912, the county hired architect Elmer G. Withers to design a courthouse. Similar to his design for the Roberts County Courthouse, this classical revival building features Doric columns, balustered parapet, denticulation and raised basement.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14394.)
Location. 32° 45.388′ N, 94° 20.667′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is on West Austin Street 0.1 miles west of South Polk Street (County Highway 134), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Marion County Courthouse, on the right side of the staircase leading to the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 West Austin Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Texas Statesman Charles Allen Culberson (a few steps from this marker); Murphy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Marion County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jay Gould Railroad Car (about 400 feet away); Excelsior House (about 400 feet away); Captain William Perry (about 400 feet away); Early Jefferson Lodge Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Also see . . .
1. The Courthouses of Marion County.
The current brick courthouse was designed by architect Elmer George Withers in a Classical Revival style with receding porticoes on the front and rear sides and two, two-story unfluted Doric columns framing the entrances. The building has a raised basement, an entablature and cornice surrounding the roof, balustrades over the front and rear entrances and a hipped roof covered with red tile. (Submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Marion County Texas.
The legislature formed Marion County from Cass County in 1860 and named for Revolutionary War Swamp Fox Francis Marion. Jefferson, named after Thomas Jefferson became the county seat. The Marion County brick courthouse was erected in 1914, architect Elmer George Withers. Outside the building the Dick Taylor Camp of Confederate veterans (Submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.