Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Statesman Charles Allen Culberson
One of Texas' most forceful leaders; 32 years in office as attorney general, governor, U.S. Senator.
Born in Alabama; in childhood moved with parents to Texas. Lived in Jefferson 1861-1887. Was educated Virginia Military Institute, University of Virginia. Began practice of law in Jefferson, 1877, in firm of his father, United States Congressman D.B. Culberson.
He moved to Dallas 1887. Won elections as attorney general, 1890 and 1892. In this office recovered for Texas more than 2,000,000 acres of public domain illegally claimed by railroads. He also gave strong support to reforms of Gov. James S. Hogg, notably in antitrust laws, and creation of Railroad Commission.
In two terms as governor (1895-1899), was famous for vigorous law enforcement and a strong fiscal policy which reduced state expenses. Although known as "veto governor," he was able to show Legislature and the people the justice of his vetoes.
Elected to the United States Senate, 1898; became Senate Minority Leader, 1907, and was considered for the presidency, 1908, by National Democratic Party. Chief Senate service was on Judiciary Committee, of which he was chairman, 1913-1919. Retired in 1922. Died in Washington. Is buried in Fort Worth.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey
Location. 32° 45.394′ N, 94° 20.66′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of West Austin Street and South Polk Street (County Highway 134), on the right when traveling east on West Austin Street. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Marion County Courthouse, on the left side of the staircase leading to the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 West Austin Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marion County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Marion County (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Vernon Dalhart (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kahn Saloon (about 300 feet away); Brown Building (about 300 feet away); Old Livery Stable (about 300 feet away); Jefferson Turn Basin (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Also see . . .
1. Charles Allen Culbertson (1855 - 1925). born in Dadeville, Tallapoosa County, Ala., June 10, 1855; moved to Texas with his parents, who settled first in Gilmer and later in Jefferson; attended the common schools and graduated from the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington in 1874; studied law at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville in 1876 and 1877; admitted to the bar in 1877 and commenced practice in Jefferson, Tex. (Submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Charles Allen Culberson.
After being elected attorney general in 1890 by an overwhelming margin, Culberson was involved in several landmark federal cases, including the successful defense of the newly established Railroad Commission. He was reelected in 1892.
The most talked-about event of his administration was the proposed prizefight featuring James J. Corbett, heavyweight champion of the world, and Bob Fitzsimmons, challenger (1895). An old political foe from East Texas, Dan Stuart, and others had already expended a fortune promoting the fight in Dallas when Culberson called the legislature into special session and passed a law making prizefighting a felony. (Submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.