Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Collins in Covington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Courthouse Square at Williamsburg

 
 
Courthouse Square at Williamsburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
1. Courthouse Square at Williamsburg Marker
Inscription. Covington County was established in 1819, and the county seat was located here in 1829. This courthouse square has been the site of three courthouses, built in 1829, 1854, and 1894. The last courthouse was burned by arson in 1904. After the county seat was moved to Collins in 1906, the Williamsburg Consolidated school opened here in 1912, serving primer through high school. The high school closed in 1949, while the other grades remained until the school closed in 1957.
 
Erected 2015 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 31° 37.147′ N, 89° 36.618′ W. Marker is near Collins, Mississippi, in Covington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Mike Connor Road and Yates Road, on the left when traveling south on Lake Mike Connor Road. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of a furniture store. Marker is at or near this postal address: 938 Lake Mike Connor Road, Collins MS 39428, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Covington County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away);
Courthouse Square at Williamsburg Marker in front of old school building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
2. Courthouse Square at Williamsburg Marker in front of old school building.
Covington County War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); PFC Mack A. Jordan (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Courthouse Square at Williamsburg. Williamsburg was named for Thomas H. Williams, who was one of the two first United States Senators from Mississippi. In 1899, the citizens of Williamsburg discovered that the railroad was going to be built through Covington County, but not through Williamsburg.

The Covington County's third courthouse of 1894 was intentionally burned by an arsonist on Dec. 4, 1904.

Williamsburg was replaced as the county seat in 1906 by Collins. A small community continues to exist at Williamsburg with one store, three churches and three cemeteries.
 
Categories. EducationGovernmentNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
View of marker looking north on Lake Mike Conner Road. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
3. View of marker looking north on Lake Mike Conner Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement