Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whatley in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Whatley, Alabama

 
 
Whatley, Alabama Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
1. Whatley, Alabama Marker (Front)
Inscription.
Front
Originally home to Creek and Choctaw Indians, Whatley was first settled by pioneers about 1808. Some of the most famous events in Clarke County’s history happened in or near Whatley. A Creek War battle occurred here in 1812 at Fort Sinquefield, the location of an early fort built by settlers for protection against the Creeks who were British allies during the War of 1812. Also nearby is the Old Line Road (Co. Rd. 35) that follows near the surveyed “Indian Boundary Line” which separated the Creek from the Choctaw. Clarke County’s revered historian, the Rev. T. H. Ball, is buried in Whatley. One of the earliest churches in the area was Horeb Baptist Church, founded September 9, 1825. The town was first called Horeb in honor of this church. Eventually, the town was named “Whatley”, in honor of Franklin Benjamin Whatley (October 1, 1826-June 8, 1896). Mr. Whatley was the grandson of Elder Willis Whatley, an early Baptist minister of Clarke County.

(Continued on other side)

Rear
(Continued from other side)

When the Mobile and Birmingham Railroad came through the county in 1886-87, land on which the depot was built was deeded to the railroad by Mr. F. B. Whatley. The railroad, in turn, honored Mr. Whatley by naming the depot
Whatley, Alabama Marker (Rear) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
2. Whatley, Alabama Marker (Rear)
in his honor. The post office officially changed its name from Horeb to Whatley on August 20, 1890. Following the coming of the railroad and in the first part of the 20th century, Whatley was the trading and shipping center for the large, prosperous farming community. Several mercantile businesses sprang up around the depot. Mrs. Nancy Whatley operated a hotel in the business area and her daughter, Mrs. David Coleman, was proprietor of the hotel for many years.
 
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Community of Whatley.
 
Location. 31° 39.024′ N, 87° 42.671′ W. Marker is in Whatley, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Rickwood Drive, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Horeb Baptist Church Pastorium. Marker is at or near this postal address: 687 Main Street, Whatley AL 36482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kimbell - James Massacre (approx. 0.6 miles away); Reverend Timothy Horton Ball, A. M. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Sinquefield (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Line Road (approx. 2.6 miles away);
Whatley, Alabama marker in front of Baptist church. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
3. Whatley, Alabama marker in front of Baptist church.
Old Indian Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Suggsville (approx. 4.6 miles away); Clarke County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Grove Hill, Alabama (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whatley.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
View from marker towards Princess Trail. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 2, 2017
4. View from marker towards Princess Trail.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement