Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Original Lincoln High School

 
 
Original Lincoln High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 12, 2017
1. Original Lincoln High School Marker
Inscription. Lincoln School served as the primary public education institution for African Americans in Leon County from 1869 to 1969. Established in 1869 as one of only two Freedman's Bureau schools in Florida to educate newly freed slaves. It was named after President Abraham Lincoln. The first school building, located at the corner of Lafayette and Copeland streets, burned down in 1872. When the second building, located at the corner of Copeland Street and Park Avenue, was transferred to the Florida State College for Women in 1906, a new wood frame school was built at this site in Frenchtown, a well-established African American area. In 1929, the building was replaced by the present brick one, with some funding from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. As Lincoln High School, it offered a high school curriculum, vocational training, night school, and GED program. Students came from more than 40 schools in rural Leon County and surrounding areas. They either roomed in town or walked for miles to Lincoln. There were no buses for African American students until the 1950s. The Lincoln High School name was transferred to the site of Griffin Middle School for two years, which allowed students to receive Lincoln diplomas until 1969.
 
Erected 2016 by The City of Tallahassee and the Florida Department of State. (Marker
Original Lincoln High School Marker and building image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 12, 2017
2. Original Lincoln High School Marker and building
Number F-909.)
 
Location. 30° 26.967′ N, 84° 17.25′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Brevard Street and North Macomb Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on site of the Lincoln Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 438 West Brevard Street, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prince And Princess Murat (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major General David Lang (approx. half a mile away); Rutgers House/Tallahassee Garden Club Center (approx. half a mile away); Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 / Governor Bloxham House (approx. half a mile away); Old City Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Trinity United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Florida State University Campus (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Also see . . .  Old Lincoln High School. (Submitted on December 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
Original Lincoln High School Sign image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 12, 2017
3. Original Lincoln High School Sign
Lincoln Center Sign image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 12, 2017
4. Lincoln Center Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement