Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Donegal in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Savannah Road

←—→

 
 
Old Savannah Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Old Savannah Road Marker
Inscription. The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, to the south of the present Milledgeville. there it connected with the main course of the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. Opening of this lower stretch of the old road was authorized by the State in 1777. When Milledgeville was made the capital, the thoroughfare was extended to that place. Most of the original course remains in current use.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 016-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 32.741′ N, 81° 43.382′ W. Marker is in Donegal, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on Statesboro Highway (U.S. 301) near Old River Road North, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located about 7 mi NE of Statesboro, 3/4 mile SE of Donegal. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Meeting House (a few steps from
Old Savannah Road Marker, looking westward on Old River Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Old Savannah Road Marker, looking westward on Old River Road
this marker); Louisville Road (approx. 3.3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cooperville (approx. 3.3 miles away); 1790 Union Meeting House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 4.4 miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); World War II Prison Camp (approx. 6.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Savannah Road Marker shares intersection with "Union Meeting House" Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Old Savannah Road Marker shares intersection with "Union Meeting House" Historical Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,395 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement