Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lithia in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Alderman's Ford

First Crossing Point of the Alafia River in This Vicinity

 
 
Site of Alderman's Ford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 13, 2017
1. Site of Alderman's Ford Marker
Inscription. In 1848, James Alderman settled near this site, a densely forested area, and cut down the steep banks of the Alafia River to make it easier for horses and wagons to ford it. The area became known as Alderman's Ford.

As the land to the south of the river became more settled and crossings increased, the area around the ford grew in popularity for meetings and socializing. Picnics were common here as early as 1888. In 1902 the site became the scene of political rallies. In an era before the growth of mass communications, many political careers were launched at the ford. For more than half a century the Democratic Party of Hillsborough County kicked off its campaigns by popping political fireworks at the park.
 
Erected by The Hillsborough County Parks and Recreation Department with the cooperation of the Hillsborough County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 27° 52.055′ N, 82° 8.263′ W. Marker is near Lithia, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from Aldermans Ford Park Drive 0.3 miles south of Plant City-Picnic Road (County Road 39). Touch for map. Marker is located in the picnic area of loop road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Aldermans Ford Park Drive, Plant City FL 33567, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Site of Alderman's Ford Marker and surrounding area image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 13, 2017
2. Site of Alderman's Ford Marker and surrounding area
At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glover School (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bealsville (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brandon Family Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South (approx. 10.1 miles away); The Mulberry Tree (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Mulberry Time Capsule (approx. 10.2 miles away); Phosphate Area War Memorial (approx. 10.2 miles away); Cecil B. Strange (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement