Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fraser in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John Lutheran Church and Schools

 
 
St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
1. St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
Side 1
In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, they moved the pews aside to desks and chairs could be set up for the school week. The congregation replaced the small church with a larger wood frame church and school in 1867. A fire destroyed the building on Christmas Eve 1884. In 1884-85, members built a new two-story school and a separate church with a seating capacity of 600. The school had two classrooms, one on each floor. St. John school was the only school in Fraser until the village built a one-room schoolhouse at 13 Mile and Utica Roads around 1882.

Side 2
As the area's population grew, St. John Lutheran Church members requested schools closer to their homes. In 1877, the church built two additional schools: one at Cady's Corners on Utica Road and the Krim School at Plumbrook and Dodge Park Roads in Sterling Township. Krim served residents until around 1894; and Cady's Corner, until 1929. They both closed as improved transportation options allowed students to be educated elsewhere, including the St John school in Fraser. In the 1940s and 1950s, St. John pastors drove school
St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
2. St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 2)
buses daily. In 1957, the church finished moving all classes to a school building built here in 1948. The 1884-85 school became the Fraser Public Library in 1964. Member built a new church here in 1985-86.
 
Erected 2016 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2278C.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 32.345′ N, 82° 57.351′ W. Marker is in Fraser, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is on East 14 Mile Road near Utica Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16339 East 14 Mile Road, Fraser MI 48026, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Baumgartner House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fire Apparatus Bell (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Baumgartner House 1875 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Erin United Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Moravian Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bunert-Weier Farm (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Warren Township District No. 4 School (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fraser.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
St. John Lutheran Church and School image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
3. St. John Lutheran Church and School
The marker is at the far left; the wing on the right is part of the school.
Fraser Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
4. Fraser Public Library
View from the north of the 1884-85 school, which is now Fraser Public Library.
Fraser Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
5. Fraser Public Library
View from the northwest of the 1884-85 school, which is now Fraser Public Library.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement