Coronado in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Hotel del Coronado
Erected 1970 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in Cooperation with the San Diego Historical Society, Coronado Historical Association, Inc., and San Diego Chapter, American Institute of Architects (December 17, 1870). (Marker Number 844.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 40.889′ N, 117° 10.636′ W. Marker is in Coronado, California, in San Diego County. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Hotel Garden Patio area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 Orange Avenue, Coronado CA 92118, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christmas Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Dragon Tree (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Star Park (approx. ¼ mile away); First Military Flying School (approx. one mile San Diego Bay (approx. 1.9 miles away); Downtown San Diego (approx. 1.9 miles away); Balboa Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); La Punta De Los Muertos (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coronado.
Regarding Hotel del Coronado. It would be built around a court…a garden of tropical trees, shrubs and flowers,…. From the south end, the foyer should open to Glorietta Bay with verandas for rest and promenade. On the ocean corner, there should be a pavilion tower, and northward along the ocean, a colonnade, terraced in grass to the beach. The dining wing should project at an angle from the southeast corner of the court and be almost detached, to give full value to the view of the ocean, bay and city." It was in this manner that Elisha S. Babcock described to arcrhitect James Reid his dream for a grand hotel on San Diego's Coronado peninsula. Together with H.L. Story, his business partner, Babcock's plans were brought to fruition and the "Hotel del Coronado" was opened on February 19, 1888.
Source: Journal of San Diego
This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No.844)
Also see . . .
1. INetTours - Hotel del Coronado. (Submitted on January 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Hotel del Coronado official website. Information about the hotel is available from this site via a downloadable brochure. (Submitted on May 1, 2009.)
1. National Historic Landmark - Statement of Significance (as of designation-May 5, 1977)
Begun in March 1887 and open for business February 1888, this enormous timber structure, rising from the Coronado Penisula like a castle, was one of the last of the extravagently conceived resort hotels in Southern California. It was the first hotel in the world, and the largest building outside of New York City, to use electric lighting; the lighting system was installed under the direct supervision of Thomas A. Edison.
A convention center, additional hotel rooms and parking are being planned. These would be constructed on the site of the current parking lots and historic service buildings
— Submitted September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,243 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on November 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 6, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.