Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Center in Shelby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

John O. Moosberg

 
 
John O. Moosberg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 25, 2014
1. John O. Moosberg Marker
Inscription.
John Moosberg was born in Fort Worth in 1899. He received his education at Texas A&M University and moved to Shelby County in 1936 to serve as county agent. His tenure as county agent began with Moosberg realizing that Shelby County was losing its cotton industry to West Texas followed by the loss of the watermelon business to the Valley of Texas. Several crops were tried with very little success.

In 1948, Moosberg initiated trips to Arkansas and Gonzales, Texas to observe poultry industry operations. He worked diligently to build support and enthusiasm for Shelby County to enter the poultry industry with the assistance and cooperation of other community leaders. Mr. Moosberg convinced Mr. Willie Cordray of Shelbyville to operate the first long-style poultry house anywhere in Texas on his property.

As a result of this 20' x 120', 3,000 capacity broiler house, Shelby County boasts the beginning of the commercial long-style poultry house industry in Texas and continues to be one of the largest poultry producing areas in the state.

John Moosberg and his wife, Gladys raised three children in Center; Ann, Jeannie and their youngest child, John Berry.

The beginning of the poultry industry in Shelby County can largely be credited to the dedication and hard work of John Moosberg. He was truly
John O. Moosberg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 25, 2014
2. John O. Moosberg Marker
one of Shelby County's poultry pioneers.
 
Erected by Tyson Foods, et. al.
 
Location. 31° 48.364′ N, 94° 11.623′ W. Marker is in Center, Texas, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Express Boulevard and Civic Center Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at main entrance to the John D. Windham Civic Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 Express Boulevard, Center TX 75935, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Malcolm S. Weaver (here, next to this marker); Luke (Jack) Motley, Jr. (here, next to this marker); Martin Weaver (here, next to this marker); Martin McCoy Middleton (here, next to this marker); Poultry Pioneers Plaza (a few steps from this marker); John Joseph Emmett Gibson (approx. one mile away); Shelby County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Shelby County (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center.
 
More about this marker. Marker is one of a group markers telling the stories of five pioneers in the Shelby County, Texas poultry industry
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Shelby County Texas Poultry Pioneers
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement