Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Came to Texas from Tennessee in 1839, and joined "minute men" protecting north frontier from Trinity to Brazos River. Moved to Brazos County; served 1842-1853 in County offices: Deputy Clerk, County Clerk, Surveyor, Chief Justice. Taught school, had a store, farmed. Led in building churches; also Brazos County courthouses of 1846, 1853, 1878. During Civil War, was assessor of Confederate state taxes.
As a member of a local committee, his determination and tact secured the location of the A. & M. College of Texas for his county. He rightly deserves title, "Father of Brazos County".
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8689.)
Location. 30° 40.425′ N, 96° 22.249′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on East 26th Street west of North Texas Avenue (State Highway 68), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in small plaza near Brazos County Courthouse main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East 26th Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (here, next to this marker); Town Named for William Joel Bryan Brazos County (a few steps from this marker); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Queen Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas A&M University (approx. 4.3 miles away); Shiloh Community (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Also see . . .
1. Harvey Mitchell- Father of Brazos County and Texas A&M.
In 1871, when the Texas Legislature was searching for a college location, Mitchell, this leader of rural low-populated Brazos County, saw an opportunity. Despite the fact that several large cities were avidly seeking this prize college, Mitchell, along with his three man committee, reached out to grab this brass ring. They donated nearly 2500 acres of Brazos County land to the State of Texas. The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas was established in what would become College Station by the state legislature on April 17, 1871 as the state’s 1st public institution of higher education (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harvey, Texas.
Harvey is on Farm Road 30 some two miles southeast of Bryan in central Brazos County. It was established in 1879 and named for Col. Harvey Mitchell, an early settler of Booneville. Mitchell was known as the "Father of Brazos County" for his contribution to the development of the area. He was a justice of the peace, a minister, a hotel and store owner, a surveyor, and a blacksmith. (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.