Near Tignall in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Village of Danburg
The Village of Danburg was settled circa 1825 by Samuel Danforth of Vermont and Massachusetts at this intersection of two important trade routes, the Augusta Road into North Georgia and the Abbeville, S.C. Milledgeville GA Road. The original name of the village was Danforthtown.
Amongst the families settling early in the village were the Andersons, Danforths, McLendons, Reabs, Shumates, Stathams, Suttons, Waltons and Wheatleys. They quickly created an atmosphere of education and cultural refinement, and the village was long a noted regional social center.
This memorial to honor the village is erected to the Glory of God and in memory of Walter Lee Sutton 1863-1947 by his obedient grandsons WLC CDS JSS CES, Jr
(Front – Southwest Face)
In Memory of the Loyalists of 1776
Loyal to the triple aegis of the British Crown, British Constitution and the Church of England, violence inevitably forced them to either take up defensive arms, faintheartedly join the Revolutionary cause or depart.
Thus perished the grand design of a United British North America. The victorious have been recognized; let the worthy vanquished be equitably honored.
Omnia Ad Dei Gloriam
(Left Side -- Northwest Face)
The honesty and integrity of their leadership in civil life and the courage and endurance of their leadership in war represent a quality of leadership rarely since equaled. If their ideal of slavery was undoubtedly unjust, the quality of their public service was superb.
Omnia Ad Dei Gloriam
(Back – Northeast Face)
In Memory of the Veterans of the 1914-1918 War and the 1939-1945 War
Twice in this century men from the village went with American contingents to the assistance of Great Britain, our Motherland and her ally France, both engaged in a deadly struggle with Prussian militarism – Hitlerism. The sacrifices of these countries which gave us time to arm ourselves and of our men who served leave future generations yet deeply indebted.
In memory of the Veterans of the 1950-1953 Korean War and the 1965-1973 Vietnam War.
Our debts to these veterans are equally vast, for their sacrifices were too often undervalued by the public at the very time they were being made.
Omnia Ad Del Gloriam
(Right Side – Southeast Face
In Honor of the Black Citizens of the Village
Entrapped involuntarily in a system of servitude until 1865, they were thereafter
Omnia Ad Dei Gloriam
Erected by Grandsons of Walter Lee Sutton.
Location. 33° 52.1′ N, 82° 39.117′ W. Marker is near Tignall, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of Bradford Road (County Route 132) and Danburg Road (Georgia Route 44), on the right when traveling west on Bradford Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tignall GA 30668, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Court North of Augusta (approx. 3 miles away); Fishing Creek Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Heard's Fort (approx. 3.9 miles away); Independence United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Pope’s Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Walnut Hill Academy (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Rev. John Springer (approx. 8.1 miles away); Bobby Brown State Park Monument (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tignall.
Also see . . . Remembering Danburg, Georgia. (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, Korean • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary • War, Vietnam • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.