Greenwood in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rock Presbyterian Church
This church, originally known as Rocky Creek Presbyterian Church, was founded in 1770 by ministers sent to upper S.C. from the Synods of New York and Philadelphia. The first church here, a frame structure, was replaced in 1815 by a larger frame church built by John and Adam Blake. This church, incorporated in 1844 was renamed Rock Presbyterian church by the S.C. Presbytery in 1845.
Rev. John McLees (d. 1882) was minister here 1847-1882 and father of Greenwood First Presbyterian Church, inactive in 1892, reorganized in 1956. This stone sanctuary, built in 1959-60, replaced the 1815 church, which had burned in 1959.
Erected 2003 by Rock Presbyterian Congregation. (Marker Number 24-16.)
Location. 34° 13.678′ N, 82° 6.657′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is at the intersection of Reynolds Street (U.S. 221) and Rock Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Reynolds Street. Touch for map. The church and cemetery are located at the end of Rock Church Road NW. Marker is in this post office area: Greenwood SC 29649, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Francis Salvador (approx. one mile away); John Henry Logan (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Emerald Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dr. Benjamin James Sanders, Jr. (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Marshal Ferdinand Foch (approx. 3.9 miles away); Textile Workers Monument (approx. 3.9 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Also see . . . Rock Presbyterian Church. Be sure to check out the History section for photos of the second church and the fire of 1959 which destroyed it. (Submitted on September 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
It is worth mentioning that the marker was secured under the leadership of the former pastor, Randy Sloan and two hard working elders, Geln Arthur and David Morgan.
— Submitted September 10, 2008, by Joseph Johnson of Greenwood, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on September 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.