Boerne in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kendall County Courthouse
First and only courthouse in county. Erected 1869-1870, seven years after county organization. Many locally prominent men were associated with the structure.
The first county judge, Joseph Graham, was appointed U.S. Consul to Argentina. The first sheriff, Capt. John Sansom, was a member of the U.S. Army, a Texas Ranger and Indian fighter. S.B. Patton, former Alabama legislator, was elected second county judge.
Early records reveal cases for horse theft, cattle rustling, illegal sale of liquor, assault.
An addition was built in 1909, and structure was remodeled, 1954.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2921.)
Location. 29° 47.676′ N, 98° 43.845′ W. Marker is in Boerne, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on East San Antonio Avenue west of Saunders Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located near the southeast corner of the 1870 courthouse building, between the old courthouse building and the old (1884) Kendall County Jail building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East San Antonio Avenue, Boerne TX 78006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Kendall County (here, next to this marker); Cascade Cavern (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Gass Schmiede (approx. 15.9 miles away); The Founding Freethinkers (approx. 15.9 miles away); Comfort Community Church (approx. 16.3 miles away); Treue Der Union Monument (approx. 16.4 miles away); Comfort School (approx. 16.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Old Courthouse.
The courthouse was built in Boerne, the county seat, in 1870. The back half of the courthouse is the original 1870 two-story structure that was rectangular in shape and was made of limestone blocks. An entirely new front half was added in 1909 at a cost of $5,750. Alfred Giles was the architect for the 1909 addition. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Kendall County Courthouse History.
Construction on Kendall Countyís first courthouse, which served as the countyís only courthouse for 128 years, didnít begin until 1869 and it was completed in 1870. The courthouse was a one-story building two bays deep and four bays wide. In 1885 or 1886 a second story was built which included corner quoining, cut stone lintels and a two-story porch at the front entrance. The building was completed with a Mansard cupola over the front entrance and cast iron cresting on the roof. The courthouse was altered again in 1909 when
From its original construction date of 1870, the Kendall County courthouse is the second-oldest courthouse in Texas in continuous use. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Kendall County Courthouse - Boerne.
The courthouse, initially constructed in 1870 using simple German vernacular construction, had been dramatically expanded in 1886, and then again in 1909 to the plans of architect Alfred Giles. The 1909 design has been retained and restored in this work by removal of later floor finishes, suspended ceilings, and infilled walls. A new elevator and mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire detections systems have been installed. The hand-painted vault, ornate millwork, and distinctive finishes have been restored to the 1909 period. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.