New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County Seat of Comal County
Early inhabitants of this area included Karankawa, Lipan, Tonkawa and Waco Indians. Between 1844 and 1846, the Verein Zum Schutze Deutscher Einwanderer in Texas (Society for the protection of German immigrants in Texas) sent more than 7,000 German settlers. Several hundred of them arrived in this area in 1845. Led by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, they founded a community here on Good Friday, March 21, of that year. Rafael L. and Maria Antonia Veramendi Garza sold the colonization society more than 1,200 acres of land for the settlers, who held a drawing for lots shortly after arriving. Briefly referred to as Comal Springs, the community was named New Braunfels for the German town of Braunfels on the Lahn River.
On May 11, 1846, the Texas Legislature incorporated the city, although the charter was not ratified until the following year. By 1850, New Braunfels was reportedly the fourth largest city in Texas. Because of its temperate climate and abundant natural resources, agriculture and industry thrived. Early craftsmen included bakers, blacksmiths, butchers, button and fringe makers, cabinetmakers, carpenters, coppersmiths, locksmiths, machinists, saddlers, tailors, shoemakers, tanners, tinsmiths, turners and wagon makers. Industries include brick kilns, cotton gins, a door and blind factory, flour and grist
The City’s settlers were undaunted by early hardships. Many old-world customs survive among descendants of the original colonists, and the city’s heritage is reflected in its buildings, street names and institutions.
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3574.)
Location. 29° 42.216′ N, 98° 7.483′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of East San Antonio Street and North Seguin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East San Antonio Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the Comal County Courthouse, between the parking lot and the east entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Seguin Avenue, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Comal County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Hinmann House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (about 800 feet away); Gruene Cotton Gin (approx. 2.7 miles away); Henry D. Gruene (approx. 2.7 miles away); Gruene's Hall (approx. 2.7 miles away); Gruene (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Dietz Community (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
Also see . . .
1. Friedrich Wilhelm Carl Ludwig Georg Alfred Alexander, Prince of Solms, Lord of Braunfels.
As one of the twenty-five members of the Adelsverein, organized initially in 1842 and reorganized in 1844, Carl worked tirelessly to promote the growth, finances, administration, and political acceptance of the society. In 1844 Carl was appointed commissioner-general for the first colony that the society proposed to establish in Texas. Near Victoria, he left the immigrants and proceeded to San Antonio in order to conclude the purchase from Juan Martín Veramendi and Raphael C. Garza of a fertile, well-watered tract on the Guadalupe and Comal rivers. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. New Braunfels, Texas.
Taking advantage of the reliable water power afforded by Comal Springs and the community's position on the road between Austin and San Antonio, the settlers wasted little time establishing the supply and processing businesses-stores, millworks, and craft shops-that soon made New Braunfels the commercial center of a growing agricultural area. By the early 1880s, with a population estimated at 2,000, the community was linked by telegraph and rail lines with Austin and San Antonio, and textile factories along the Comal River were shipping cotton and woolen products. The following decade saw the installation of electric streetlights and the first telephone line through New Braunfels. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. New Braunfels Early History.
Several Native American tribes inhabited this area because of the fresh spring water available. The expedition of Domingo Terán de los Ríos of 1691, followed the “El Camino Real” (today a National Historic Trail), which crossed the Guadalupe River near today’s Faust Street Bridge. Subsequent French and Spanish expeditions, including those of the Marqués de Aguayo and Louis Juchereau de St. Denis, commonly passed through this area. An 1825, a Mexican land grant gave title of the area around the springs to Juan M. Veramendi. During the eighteenth century, the springs and river (which had been called Las Fontanas and the Little Guadalupe respectively) took the name Comal, Spanish for "flat dish," and Guadalupe. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.