Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hinmann House

 
 
Hinmann House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 28, 2014
1. Hinmann House Marker
Inscription. This home’s architecture reflects the German influence of many of the area’s early structures. Heinrich Hinmann purchased the property in July 1855, and he and his wife Therese (Sickold) raised ten children here. The home dates from circa 1868 and remained a family residence for more than a century, although Dr. A.J. Hinmann converted interior spaces for his medical practice in the 1920s. The two-story house is built of load-bearing masonry with a low-sloping roof. Hand-tooled limestone blocks form regular courses and heavy lintels and sills, and square wood columns support a gallery porch with geometric design railings.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2008

 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14917.)
 
Location. 29° 42.099′ N, 98° 7.479′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is on South Castell Avenue 0.1 miles south of West San Antonio Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Mounted on wall right of the front door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 161 South Castell Avenue, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies.
Hinmann House Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 28, 2014
2. Hinmann House Marker (wide view)
Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (within shouting distance of this marker); Comal County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Braunfels (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named New Braunfels (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gruene Cotton Gin (approx. 2.8 miles away); Henry D. Gruene (approx. 2.8 miles away); Gruene's Hall (approx. 2.8 miles away); Gruene (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
 
Also see . . .
1. Heinrich Hinmann House.
The builder of the Hinmann House is unknown but he was believed to be an immigrant stonemason trained in the traditional construction methods of Germany. The house with its two level porches is of the classical revival style. The land where the Hinmann House is located today was once the home to a blacksmith shop and log house built in 1845 by Peter Arnold. In July 1855, Peter Arnold, a blacksmith according to the 1850 census, and his wife Catrina sold Lot 76 to Heinrich Hinmann, another blacksmith, for $550. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Historic Marker Application: Hinmann House.
Although the property was sold only to Heinrich Hinmann, he had married Therese Sickold on February 8, 1854. The Mayor of New Braunfels, as acting Justice of the Peace,
Hinmann House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 28, 2014
3. Hinmann House
conducted the ceremony. The 1860, 1870, and 1880 U.S. Census listed Hinmann as a blacksmith with his wife Theresa whose entire family grew to ten children of whom only eight grew to adulthood. The children were Heinrich, Adolph, Ottilie, Alexander, Karl, Friedrich (Fritz), Ernst, Gustav, Agusta, and Emilie. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Hinmann House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 28, 2014
4. Hinmann House
Hinmann House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 28, 2014
5. Hinmann House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement