Near New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Dietz Community
In 1851 Jamaica native Jacob De Cordova (1808-1868) settled here. He selected this spot for its beauty, rich soil and nearby springs. He built his first home, "Wanderer's Retreat." It served as a stage stop on the San Antonio Road and as a mail delivery station. De Cordova, acting as a land agent, sold over 90,000 acres of Texas land including this site. Nine German bachelors purchased the property and it became known as "Bachelor's Hall" and "Nine Men's House." Two brothers, Ferdinand Michael and J. August Dietz, cowboys for De Cordova, bought out the other men and the community became "Dietz." Johann Phillip Stautzenberger (1838-1904) bought the land in 1861, built a substantial house and general store, and became the first postmaster.
Formal education began in a small room adjacent to Stautzenberger's store with Frankfort School starting later. "The Frohsinn Maennerchor," a singing group, was organized in the schoolhouse. Later they adopted the present name of "Frohsinn Mixed Chorus of Clear Springs." In 1895 a group of farmers founded present-day Friedens Church in the school building.
Consolidation of the schools, closing of the post office, and good roads and automobiles caused this early community to disappear.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 39.3′ N, 98° 2.689′ W. Marker is near New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is on State Highway 46 0.1 miles south of Center Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out on the east side of the highway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2627 Texas State Highway 46, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch (approx. 4.8 miles away); Hinmann House (approx. 5.8 miles away); Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (approx. 5.8 miles away); Comal County Courthouse (approx. 5.9 miles away); New Braunfels (approx. 5.9 miles away); Henry D. Gruene (approx. 6.7 miles away); Gruene's Hall (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gruene Cotton Gin (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
Also see . . . Dietz, Texas.
Dietz was on State Highway 46 eight miles northwest of Seguin in Guadalupe County. The land was part of the 1831 Esnaurizar land grant of eleven leagues. Jacob de Cordova, land agent, author, and entrepreneur, settled in the area in 1851. By the 1870s the citizens of Dietz had built a two-room schoolhouse and named it Frankfort School; the well close to the school site still stood on the east side of (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.