Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This limestone building was constructed about 1870 when the property was owned by John Adams Alberthal. It was designed with a commercial area on the front and a two-story residential section in the back. Christian Kloth purchased the home in 1878, and following his death in 1904, it was inherited by his daughters Anna Marie (Kloth) Ludwig (d. 1930) and Caroline Kloth (d. 1940). Used for various shops, it remained in the Ludwig family until 1966.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10067.)
Location. 30° 16.261′ N, 98° 51.962′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 290) north of North Elk Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Mounted on the front patio at the southeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nimitz Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walch Home (about 500 feet away); Main Mast from Destroyer USS Foote (DD-511) Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mueller-Petmecky House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early History of Fredericksburg, Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Kloth-Ludwig Home.
This building was originally built with the common principles of German thrift that many of the immigrant families of Fredericksburg displayed. Combining a large commercial area in the front, with an even larger residential area in the rear. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.