Center Point in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Center Point, Texas
1852, a settlement began along the Guadalupe River half way between Kerryville and Comfort that became known as Center Point. 1856, residents met here to petition the state for a new county, then held the 1st meeting to organize the county government. Center Point resident W.D.G. Burney was elected 1st sheriff of the new “Kerr County.” Company F of Texas Rangers formed with Center Point rancher Neal Coldwell as Captain. 33 Texas Rangers have been buried as of this date in the Center Point Cemetery. 1854, 1st saw mill in Kerr Co. built here on Verde Creek. Beginning 1898, Agricultural and Livestock Fair of Kerr County held in Center Point, complete with grandstand & racetrack. By 1900 the town was bustling with railroad station, saw & gristmills, lumberyards, banks & other businesses.
Engraved and dedicated spring of 2004
Location. 29° 56.621′ N, 99° 2.223′ W. Marker is in Center Point, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on San Antonio Street south of Kelly Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is located on left side of gate to the Center Point Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 San Antonio Street, Center Point TX 78010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Verde, Texas (here, next to this marker); Center Point Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Penateka Comanches (approx. 5.4 miles away); One Mile to Ruins of Camp Verde (approx. 5.4 miles away); Apelt Armadillo Farm (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bandera Pass (approx. 7.2 miles away); Comfort School (approx. 7.6 miles away); Treue Der Union Monument (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center Point.
More about this marker. Marker is engraved, polished maroon granite, weathered and somewhat difficult to read
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Center Point (Kerr County), Texas.
Center Point is on the Guadalupe River eight miles southeast of Kerrville in southeastern Kerr County. The site became a focal point for business activity when early settler Dr. Charles de Ganahl opened a post office in his home in November 1859. Ganahl called the post office Zanzenburg in honor of his ancestral (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.