Chickasaw in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
City of Chickasaw
The name Chickasaw originated from Native Americans living in the area prior to the arrival of the French settlement at Twenty-Seven Mile Bluff in 1702. Native Americans from the Apalachee and Choctaw Tribes referred to the creek running through the area as Chickasas Bogue. After the arrival of English settlers, the name was anglicized and became Chickasabogue from which the name Chickasaw was derived. In 1733, Jean Baptiste Le Moyne, Governor of the French Province of Louisiana, deeded a large tract of land which included the area of Chickasaw to John Baptist Lorending. This became known as the St. Louis Tract. Later the land was transferred to Joseph Chastang and was recognized by United States Congress in 1847. The Chickasaw area was settled by farmers and later a trading post was established. By the early 1900s, the community had grown to include a mill, which processed coconuts into oil and soaps, and a number of other manufacturing companies.
In 1914, Tennessee Coal and Iron Company purchased the land which included Chickasaw, and formed three companies, most notably Chickasaw Shipbuilding and Car Company, to build a shipyard and surrounding community. The companies installed pumps
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Chickasaw.
Location. 30° 45.843′ N, 88° 4.466′ W. Marker is in Chickasaw, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is at the intersection of North Craft Highway (U.S. 43) and Viaduct Road, on the right when traveling north on North Craft Highway. Touch for map. Located at Chickasaw Maritime Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Craft Highway, Mobile AL 36611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Cudjoe “Kazoola” Lewis (approx. 2.4 miles away); Union Baptist Church / Founders of Union Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Plateau Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gen. William C. Gorgas (approx. 3.7 miles away); Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd / Founding Members (approx. 3.8 miles away); Catholic Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Vernon Z. Crawford Law Firm (approx. 4.4 miles away); Christopher First Johnson House (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . . The Encyclopedia of Alabama article on the City of Chickasaw. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.