Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Real County Courthouse
Architect H.A. Reuter designed the 1918 courthouse, and the firm of McCreary and Schott served as contractors. According to oral history, a local builder known as "Scotty" Archibald made a significant contribution, as well. E.F. Vanderbilt was construction superintendent.
Using native limestone quarried from Tucker Hollow near the site, workers erected Reuter's vision of a Classical Revival edifice with a fortress-like facade. The rusticated limestone bands were laid in regular courses with quicklime bonding to create the building's texture and solid feel. A stone pediment with simple cornice topped by a standing seam metal roof contributes to the building's character. Renovations and additions made
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11692.)
Location. 29° 43.568′ N, 99° 45.735′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on 4th Street east of Market Street (U.S. 83), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located near the south entrance to the Real County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Real County (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); John Leakey (within shouting distance of this marker); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 6 miles away).
Also see . . . Real County Courthouse.
(includes historic photographs of courthouse) The Ransom Annex on the east side of the 1917 courthouse was completed in 1978 and is, essentially, the new courthouse. The 1917 courthouse now houses county offices. This stone (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.