St. Henry Catholic Church
Dedicated 25 July 1897
Architect: Adolph Druiding, Chicago
Contractor/Decorator: DeCurtins Bros., Carthagena
Parish founded by German immigrants in 1839 and named in honor of Henry II (A.D. 972-1024), Bavarian Duke, King, and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Present church is the third structure after log (1840) and brick (1854) buildings. Designed in Gothic Revival style, it is 163 feet in length and 88 feet wide. The tower, 196 feet in height, is one of the tallest structures in Mercer County. It contains three bells dedicated to St. Henry, St. Cyriacus, and the Virgin Mary. The granite statue of St. Henry is by sculptor Herman Broughman of Cincinnati. The interior, lavishly decorated with stained glass and Gothic details, is supported by 10 sandstone columns. Materials and labor were donated by members, reducing construction costs to $45,535. In 1970, extensive exterior and interior modifications took place, the latter under Conrad Schmitt Studios, Milwaukee. Since 1845, the parish has been served by priests of the Society of the Precious Blood. Filial parishes of St. Henry include St. Marys (1851), Philothea; St. Wendelin (1856), Wendelin: St. Francis (1858), Cranberry Prairie; and St. Bernard (1874), Burkettsville. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Presented to the St. Henry Parish by the family
Erected 1997 by Family of William and Ada (Ahlers) Bernard.
Location. 40° 25.059′ N, 84° 38.25′ W. Marker is in Saint Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Ohio Route 119) and South Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. In front of St. Henry Catholic Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 272 E. Main Street, Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cranberry Prairie (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Francis Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Cranberry School Bell (approx. 3.4 miles away); Carthagena Black Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); New Weston Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 6½ miles away); Fort Recovery Civil War Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Fort Recovery Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away).
More about this marker. In center of town in "The Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches".
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. 4. submitted on December 14, 2017. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.