Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
The Seminary of San Ildefonso
de San Ildefonso
fundado en 1588.
Este edificio se construyó en 1749.
Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República
Seminary of San Ildefonso,
founded in 1588.
This building was constructed in 1749.
Office of Monuments of the Colony and the Republic
Erected by Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República.
Location. 19° 26.185′ N, 99° 7.851′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is on Calle San Ildefonso just east of Avenida República de Argentina, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Former School of Jurisprudence (within shouting distance of this marker); Francisco Javier Clavijero (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); House of Luis de Castilla (about 90 meters away); Pedestrian Bridge over the Templo Mayor (about 210 meters away); Cuauhtémoc's Last Message Ignacio Luis Vallarta (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); House of Juan Engel (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dr. Antonio Marquez G. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Also see . . . The Seminary of San Ildefonso. It is named the Old College of San Ildefonso for hosting four seminaries in the sixteenth century: San Pedro and San Pablo, San Bernardo, San Miguel and San Gregorio who were in charge of the Jesuits. When they merged, the Colegio de San Ildefonso was founded in 1583. However, it was not until the eighteenth century that the building acquired the Baroque architecture which now characterizes it. After the expulsion of the Jesuits from Mexico in 1767, the building became the headquarters of the Battalion of the Regiment of Flanders and temporary headquarters of the Escuela de Jurisprudencia, among other functions. In the nineteenth century it was the headquarters of American and French troops. Benito Juarez decided to turn the building into the Escuela Nacional Preparatoria and, in 1910, it became part of the Universidad Nacional. In 1978 it ceased to be used as a school and remained closed until it was opened as a museum in 1992. The museum (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.