Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tennessee native John Leakey (1824-1900) came to Texas in 1847, settling for a time in Henderson County where he was a brickmason and rancher. He and his wife Nancy (Patterson) moved to Uvalde County in 1852 near present day Sabinal. A desire to pursue other endeavors took him to the Frio Canyon where there was an abundance of cypress timber. Despite constant threats of Indian attacks, Leakey settled his family and started a cypress shingle business. He served the Confederacy as a freighter during the Civil War, hauling provisions for the troops. Leakey returned to his home after the war to establish a steam sawmill and to attend to his ranching interests. He also began a school for the children of the community, and his home often served as a resting place of itinerant preachers.
The town, situated on the Bandera-Edwards County line, was laid out in 1833 and named in honor of the resourceful pioneer who donated land for this plaza, a church, school, and cemetery. Leakey served as county seat of Edwards County until 1891, and became county seat of Real County when it was organized in 1913.
A successful businessman, Indian fighter and pioneer, John Leakey's contributions and leadership were vital to the early growth of the area.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 29° 43.583′ N, 99° 45.751′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on Market Street (U.S. 83) south of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and monument are located on the west side of the Real County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); Real County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 6 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . John Leakey. Anglo-Americans arrived in the area in 1856, when John Leakey, for whom the town was later named, his wife Nancy, and five others settled near springs that were later known as Leakey Springs. Shingles and lumber were produced from the abundant cypress trees lining area streams, which were processed at water-powered sawmills along the Frio. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.