Diamond Head Lighthouse
In 1825, British sailors ascended the crater and found hard, clear calcite crystals among the black rocks. Mistaking them for diamonds, the sailors named the crater Diamond Head. One of the Hawaiian names for Diamond Head is “leahi”, meaning “wreath of fire.” This name reflects the ancient Hawaiian practice of lighting a fire on the crest of the volcano to guide canoe fleets back to the island.
The first lighthouse on this site was built in 1899. It was rebuilt in 1917 when cracks developed in the earlier structure. The Diamond Head Lighthouse still uses the original Fresnell Lens. The flash of a modern 1000-watt electric bulb is focused by the lens, so it can be seen more than 18 miles out to sea.
The Lighthouse Service was combined with the Coast Guard in 1939. Since then, the Coast Guard has been responsible for the maintenance of lighthouses, buoys, and other aids to navigation throughout
The lighthouse keeper’s dwelling, built in 1921, now serves as the
quarters of the Commander, Fourteenth Coast Guard District.
Location. 21° 15.356′ N, 157° 48.564′ W. Marker is near Honolulu, Hawaii, in Honolulu County. Marker is on Diamond Head Rd, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3399 Diamond Head Rd, Honolulu HI 96815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Amelia Earhart (approx. 0.3 miles away); Le’Ahi Beach Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Millennium Peace Garden (approx. one mile away); The Beaches of Waikiki (approx. 1.3 miles away); Waikiki (approx. 1.4 miles away); Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana’ole (approx. 1˝ miles away); Duke Paoa Kahanamoku (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Stones Of Life (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Honolulu.
Additional keywords. Lighthouse
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Diamond Head Lighthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 5. submitted on December 20, 2017. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.