Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
House of Luis de Castilla
Luis de Castilla hacia
Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República
Luis de Castilla
around the year 1550.
Office of Monuments of the Colony and the Republic
Erected by Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República.
Location. 19° 26.149′ N, 99° 7.899′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida República de Argentina and Calle Justo Sierra, on the right when traveling north on Avenida República de Argentina. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Former School of Jurisprudence (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Seminary of San Ildefonso (about 90 meters away); Pedestrian Bridge over the Templo Mayor (about 120 meters away); Cuauhtémoc's Last Message (about 120 meters away); Ignacio Luis Vallarta Francisco Javier Clavijero (about 180 meters away); House of Juan Engel (about 180 meters away); Dr. Antonio Marquez G. (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Regarding House of Luis de Castilla. Luis de Castilla (b. Spain, 1502 - d. Ciudad de Mexico, 1580) was a relative of Hernán Cortés (through his second wife). He was sent to Mexico from Spain in order to manage an area of Oaxaca known as Tutupec. In later years he also managed the mine at Taxco. Both of these properties allowed de Castilla access to important posts in the colonial government of New Spain, including being named regidor of the city. Similarly to other early colonists, he was accused of serious abuses against his indigenous workers and faced judicial inquiries in many related cases.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.