North Cleveland Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—Country Village to City Neighborhood —
The Tenleytown Firehouse (pictured here) dates to 1903. Its location on Wisconsin Avenue near Tenley Circle provides access and coverage to the greater Tenleytown area. Prior to the introduction of motor driven fire vehicles in the 1920s, the original hook and ladder trucks were pulled by horses. The firehouse, listed on the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites in 2000, has been home to Engine Co. 20 since 1907 and Truck Co. 12 since 1913. A project to modernize the firehouse, retaining the original exterior walls, started in 2003.
Call box drawings by Lena Frumin.
This call box is part of Art on Call, a program of Cultural Tourism DC, funded in part by the DC Commission on Arts and Humanities, the District Department of Transportation, and Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development. Neighborhood Sponsors are the Tenleytown Neighbors Association and Tenleytown Historical Society. A list of call box locations can be found at-
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 56.737′ N, 77° 4.339′ W. Marker is in North Cleveland Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4321 37th Street NW, Washington DC 20008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Homes (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rest (approx. ¼ mile away); A Country Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Suburban Style (approx. 0.3 miles away); Transportation Hub (approx. 0.3 miles away); On the Circle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); Three R's (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Cleveland Park.
Also see . . . Art-On-Call in Tenleytown. (Submitted on December 31, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.