Imbler in Union County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Imbler Church was built in 1878. The little building was originally located two miles south of town. Sometime between 1902 and 1910, the church was moved to its present location; it was inched across the land with a cable, powered by a gear-driven drum that was turned by a single horse.
For the first 24 years, the Imbler Church served two separate congregations: the Southern Methodists and the Cambellites (later the Church of Christ). Services for the two groups were held on alternate Sundays.
After 1920, the church was used of visiting ministries and for the Methodist Sunday School. Each Sunday morning, the Sunday School superintendent arrived early to start the wood stove and ring the bell to call the congregation. After an opening hymn, curtains were pulled to separate the single room into four classrooms.
In 2003, the building was donated to the Union County Historical Society by Veytha Irene Ruckman Berry. Together with the community of Imbler, the Historical Society is working to restore this little piece of Imbler pioneer history.
The bell displayed here is the original, which once rang out from the Imbler Church to call worshippers
Location. 45° 27.413′ N, 117° 57.774′ W. Marker is in Imbler, Oregon, in Union County. Marker is on Ruckman Avenue (Wallowa Lake Highway) (Oregon Route 82) near Hull Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Ruckman Avenue, Imbler OR 97841, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic La Grande (approx. 10.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is on the Hull Street side of the church.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.