Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Del Rio National Bank Building
In 1910 Del Rio National Bank bought this lot and hired noted Texas architect Alfred Giles to design this structure. The cartouche and cornice above the main entrance, stylistic flourishes not seen in Giles' earlier San Antonio and Hill Country work, reflect his later work in northern Mexico. The Bank vacated this structure in 1931 for a larger building. In ,1937 community leaders, including John Brinkley and Thomas Graham, Jr., chartered the Del Rio Loan Company and moved into this building, which also became home to lawyers, doctors, dentists, the Mexican Consulate, and the Edwards-Graham Insurance Company. After World War II Victor Lee worked his way up to D.R.L.C. president becoming sole proprietor and owner of the property. The business and building remain in the family in 2003.
Erected 2003 by Val Verde County Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 21.504′ N, 100° 53.937′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of West Greenwood Street and South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on West Greenwood Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted directly on the subject building, just right of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 South Main Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (about 600 feet away); John Taini (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Perry Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Also see . . .
1. Old Del Rio National Bank Building.
The Old Del Rio National Bank Building is one of the most distinctive properties in Del Rio. The structure was designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles. Born in England, Giles came to America in 1873, settling in Texas. In 1877 he designed the Bexar County Jail; within ten years he was designing homes and businesses for a San Antonio who’s who list. His work is also found in the Hill Country, South Texas and Northern Mexico, often in the form of the community’s center—the county courthouse. At least seventeen of his works have been recognized by the Texas Historical Commission. (Submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Del Rio National Bank.
Del Rio National vacated this Giles building in 1931, moving into the larger, six-story building on the 500 block of South Main which had been the home of the (Submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.