La Maison Française & The Honors House
The French House--La Maison Française--is a Renaissance-style Normandy château built in 1935 as a center for intense study of French language, culture and literature. On April 15, 1935, French Ambassador André de Laboulaye laid the structure's cornerstone, which included a piece of wood from the first French settlement in Louisiana, Fort de la Boulaye. The French House is on the National Register of Historic Places and currently houses the LSU Honors College.
LSU's East and West Laville residence halls are named in honor of Corporal Germaine Laville, the first female LSU graduate to die in the service of her country. Corporal Laville, an aerial gunnery instructor, graduated in 1942 and died two years later while rescuing Marines trapped inside a burning building. LSU's Honors College students live in the Honors House, composed of the newly renovated East and West Laville halls.
Erected by Louisiana State University.
Location. 30° 24.688′ N, 91° 10.559′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Highland Road and South Campus Drive, on the right when traveling
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College (approx. ¼ mile away); Land Grant College / Sea Grant College (approx. ¼ mile away); Louisiana State Seminary of Learning Foundation Stone (approx. ¼ mile away); Campanile (approx. ¼ mile away); The Louisiana State University (approx. ¼ mile away); Troy H. Middleton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 0.4 miles away); Distinguished Cadets (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2017. 5. submitted on December 30, 2017.