Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Louisville and “Old Alabama”

 

—Creek Heritage Trail —

 
Louisville and "Old Alabama" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 16, 2017
1. Louisville and "Old Alabama" Marker
Inscription. Louisville is one of the oldest communities in southeastern Alabama. Locąted within territory ceded by the Creeks in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (1814) ending the Creek War, the area was first settled by Americans as early as 1817. Many of its early settlers were of Scotch-Irish ancestry. and migrated here from North Carolina. So numerous were they that this area of Barbour County become known as "Little Scotland." According to tradition, the town of Louisville was known originally as "Lewisville" in honor of early settler Daniel Lewis who is reputed to have built the first house in what became the town. By the time of the Second Creek War, the Louisville area had become important regional economic and population center. It boasted several stores, many fine homes, an inn, and three prominent churches (Bethlehem Baptist Church, Pea River Presbyterian Church, and Louisville Methodist Church) which are among the earliest in Barbour County.

Louisville has the distinction of serving as the-seat of government for two counties. It first served as the county seat for Pike County from its formation in 1821 until 1827, when the seat moved to nearby Monticello. When the Alabama legislature created Barbour County in 1832, Louisville became its temporary county seat. Two sessions of circuit court were held here in 1833 in the simple
Louisville and "Old Alabama" Marker on far right of three. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 16, 2017
2. Louisville and "Old Alabama" Marker on far right of three.
wooden courthouse that once stood just a short distance from this spot. Shortly afterward, Barbour County's seat of government moved to more centrally-located Clayton.

Inset
The Formation of Barbour County
Barbour County was created in December of 1832 from the remnants of the once vast Creek domain and a portion of existing Pike County, As the new county's boundaries were bisected by the old Creek/American boundary set in 1814, the western portion of the county in which Louisville is located was known as "old Alabama" and the newer referred to at the time as "new Alabama."

According to the terms of the 1832 Treaty of Cusseta signed by the U.S. government and the Creek Nation, Creeks in Alabama were to retain ownership of their last remaining ancestral lands. However, they had five years to decide whether to remain on them as U.S. citizens or sell their land and remove west. Through an "extension law" passed the same year of the signing of the treaty, the state of Alabama extended its legal jurisdiction over the Creek domain and created several counties from this area.

Photo captions
Left bottom: This image shows the third Pea River Presbyterian Church facility, circa the 1920s. The original church was a log building which burned and was replaced with a larger log structure. The building shown here was
View from marker area towards nearby Old Louisville School. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 16, 2017
3. View from marker area towards nearby Old Louisville School.
built in 1858 and was replaced with the modern brick structure in 1949.
Louisville ca. 1900
Map of the Creek land cession authorized by the Treaty of Fort Jackson
Left middle: The Lewis-Norton-Stevens House is among the oldest structures in Barbour County. Originally built by Daniel Lewis, it has been enlarged and moved from its original location to a few miles west of Louisville.
Right top: This map from an atlas of North America published by the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge in Great Britain, shows Louisville prior to the creation of Barbour County.
Right bottom: This 1838 map of Alabama, by Thomas G. Bradford, shows the boundaries of the recently-created Barbour County.
Governor of Virginia, U.S. Senator and Secretary of War James Barbour (1775-1842), for whom Barbour County is named

 
Erected 2015 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Wiregrass Resource Conservation and Development Council, the University of Alabama Center for Economic Development, and the Town of Louisville.
 
Location. 31° 47.305′ N, 85° 33.163′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on North Main Street (Alabama Route 51) 0.6 miles south of West Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Old Louisville School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1871 North Main Street, Louisville AL 36048, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battles of Hobdy's Bridge and Pea River (here, next to this marker); The Opening of the Second Phase of the Second Creek War (here, next to this marker); Louisville (a few steps from this marker); The Old County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisville World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Barbour County High School (approx. 6.6 miles away); Hobdy's Bridge: Last Indian Battles in Alabama (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
 
Also see . . .  The Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Barbour County. (Submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansPolitical SubdivisionsWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.