Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Episcopal Church

 
 
Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. The Episcopal Church body began meeting in 1871 when 20 local women organized the church. The original church on this site was completed in 1875. The building was painted brown and became known as "The Little Brown Jug." The cornerstone for the current church building was set in place in 1897, and the building remains much the same as it did when completed. It is the oldest church in Pendleton still continuously used by a single congregation for religious services.
The parish hall was added in 1939, connecting the church to the Rectory, which had been constructed earlier. The church's exterior is composed of stone and cedar shingles. While the shingles give the building the appearance of Shingle Style, common to New England homes of the period. the shape of the windows give the Church a Gothic appearance. The overall design is similar to many English country churches. There are 14 fine stained-glass windows in the church. The large, strikingly beautiful stained-glass window that faces east was a gift of Maria Clopton Jackson in memory of her mother Mary Boyd Clopton and her brother Frank Boyd Clopton. Mrs. Jackson was known as the "Mother of the Round-Up" and was wife of C.S. Jackson - then owner of the E.O. newspaper. Mr. F.B. Clopton was once postmaster, and Clopton Road is named in his memory.

241 SE 2nd Street
Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Episcopal Church and Marker
Historical Name: Episcopal Church Style: Gothic-Shingle D.O.C. 1897 Register: L
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.34′ N, 118° 47.114′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast 2nd Street and Southeast Dorion Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Southeast 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 Southeast 2nd Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodmen of the World (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rohrman Bakery (about 400 feet away); Haw Building (about 400 feet away); LaDow Block (about 400 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); R.F. Renn Building (about 400 feet away); George Fletcher (about 500 feet away); Columbia Hotel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
3. Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement