Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

LaDow Block

 
 
LaDow Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. LaDow Block Marker
Inscription. The smaller section on the west end of the block was completed in 1884 while the remainder of the building was completed on a larger scale in 1890. Both sections are Italianate in style. The original structure had a wooden roof extending over the sidewalk at the first story and a stairway on the East side to reach the second floor. At one time this building housed the U.S Post Office. The newer portion of the block was designed to match the original section with considerably taller portions.
The LaDows settled in Pendleton in 1868. Col. George LaDow, pioneer lawyer, had purchased about one-half of the town plat of Pendleton in 1869 from Moses Goodwin. He was elected to the US House of Representatives in 1874 but died before he could take office in 1875. LaDow's widow, Martha LaDow, carried on her husband's extensive real estate pursuits in Pendleton. She began construction of the first section in 1884 and completed the second larger section in 1890. In 1905, a disastrous fire destroyed the top floor and damaged many of the businesses on the main floor. In 1913, a new owner, W.F. Matlock, remodeled the second floor into apartments. His daughter, Nellie Matlock Laatz, later inherited the building and by 1938, the building became known as "The Laatz Apartments." In 1951, another major fire closed down the second floor and it has remained
LaDow Block and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. LaDow Block and Marker
The marker is at the right edge of the lower building.
vacant since that time. Matlock's Great-grandson, Mat Mims, sold the building to Elnor Alkio who undertook the restoration of the entire block. In 1982, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Some of the businesses that occupied the ground level included the Oregon Bakery, Pendleton Service Station, The Fix-It Shop, Tullis Market, Natural Gas Company, P.S. Cook Plumbing and many more.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.404′ N, 118° 47.127′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast Court Avenue and Southeast 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Southeast Court Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Southeast Court Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rohrman Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); Haw Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodmen of the World (within shouting distance of this marker); Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); R.F. Renn Building (about 400 feet away); DeSpain Block (about 400 feet away); Judd Block (about 500 feet away); The Peoples Warehouse (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement