Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Haw Building

 
 
Haw Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Haw Building Marker
Inscription. This corner lot was originally the home of Jeremiah and Nancy Despain - early settlers and developers of Pendleton. Despain Avenue and Despain Gulch are named in their memory. Their house sat on this corner from 1874 until it was torn down to make room for the Haw Building in 1915. Outdoor advertising was painted on the east side of the exterior of the Rohrman Bldg. next door while the Despain home was still there. That exterior wall and original advertising painting is now part of the the Haw Building's interior.
In 1917 the Independent Garage operated from this building. The business was operated by Paul Hemmelgarn & Son. Paul and his son, Carl. Together, they owned the Pioneer Bottling Works a block west until prohibition shut that business down. The pair then went into the auto mechanic trade. Over the next 70 years the building changed hands many times (see timeline).
In 2009 a major remodel partially funded by a Pendleton Development Commission Faηade Restoration Grant was completed which maintained the original look of the building.
The industrial-style building is made of reinforced concrete with plaster walls. There are concrete floors on the first floor. Cars of the era could be driven to the second floor and into the basement for auto repairs. The building is essentially unchanged since it was built. Original
Haw Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Haw Building Marker
The marker is below the "Brewery and Pub" sign.
windows were saved on the first floor.

(timeline across the bottom:)
1925-1933 Auto Clearing House, an auto wrecking firm • 1940 Plumbing and sheet-metal workshop • 1951-1953 Vacant • 1955-1976 Merriman Plumbing and Heating occupied the first floor • 1978 Dick's Furnace Service was located here • 1979-1980 B & O Furniture Stripping and Swap Shop • 1981-1983 Ruth's House of Treasure 2nd Hand Store • 1985-1997 Country Classics • 1998-2008 George Oblisk Sells Office Furniture

230 SE Court Avenue • Historical Name: Haw Building • Style: Early Industrial • D.O.C. 1915
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.401′ N, 118° 47.094′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on Southeast Court Avenue near Southeast 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Southeast Court Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rohrman Bakery (a few steps from this marker); LaDow Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodmen of the World (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); R.F. Renn Building (about 500 feet away); DeSpain Block (about 600 feet away); Judd Block (about 600 feet away); The Peoples Warehouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement